The mobile web can get ugly.
While you can’t —yet— block ads in mobile Safari like you can on the desktop, you can get rid of most of them further upstream, by switching from your ISP’s DNS servers to ones that let you apply a filter.
Here’s how to do it in a few clicks at the router level:
- Head over to OpenDNS and sign up for a free account
- In Dashboard, click ‘Add a network’. Your IP address is at the top of the page
- Unless you know you have a static address, install OpenDNS’s Updater
- Log in to your router’s admin site
- Switch primary and secondary DNS nameservers to OpenDNS’s
- Check you’ve switched over
Back in OpenDNS’s Settings, select your network and under ‘Manage individivual domains’, ‘Always block’ these individual domains:
That short list blocks most ads. You can obviously hunt down a longer list and add to your filter at any time.